This cup is on display at the PC Historical Society
Presented by the Ladies
The New Magnolia Hotel
Margaret Pinckney Gummey
Winner in the Ladies Driving Class
The New Orleans Daily Picayune, of August 7,1901.
PASS CHRISTIAN GOLF LINKS SELECTED
Pass Christian, Miss., August 6, 1901
Mr. Robert McAndrews, of Scotland, who was sent here by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company to inspect the grounds selected for a golf link course at Pass Christian, left last night for Nashville, Tenn.
He has drawn a diagram of the grounds. Starting on the beach at the Montgomery Place, [alluding to the antebellum Montgomery Hotel, formerly Pass Christian Hotel, later Pass Christian College, that occupied the New Magnolia site from 1831 until being burned down in 1877] and extending north of the Railroad three links, with a return course to the Club-house on the beach near the point of beginning. Mr. McAndrews says that "for a very small sum this course of nine links can be made one of the finest in the country, as the land will necessitate very little working or changing to put it in first-class condition, and make the Pass even more attractive for Northern visitors."
This is the earliest supporting reference to a golf course on the Gulf Coast.
The efforts made to develop a small course may have become a reality sometime in the early 1900s as is shown below of a Sanborn Map where Golf Links were designated on the corner acreage of Pine St between St. Louis St and the Railroad.